Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April Fool's Day


What a day! With none to little tricks in it, too.

I had a full day, there was some hurry-up-&-wait (which comes in the territory of travelers); from early morning drive to the airport (thanks mom! and thanks Kath! <3) to the late night walk from an epic student function back to Erin’s apartment. It was mostly pleasant. Scary plane landing aside.


5: 25am Terminal

After traveling all available roads around the go ol’ MCO I arrived on time for my early morning flight. We parked and Mom and Katherine walked me inside. The airport seemed rather full to me at 4:30am on a Friday, but I’m not a frequent flier so I have little to compare too.

As I am traveling I enjoy watching people around me as they go on about their way. There is the business man, the student, the family of four, and even the token service dog (there were so many dogs in South Station, Boston!! I wish I had thought to take more pictures, but I skip ahead). Another personal hobbie of mine is striking up conversation with those around me.

My first fellow traveler encounter was in the parking garage. A young boy on his way to Portland, OR, to visit his dad. He and his mom were making a second try at getting him on a plane, since everything the day before was canceled or delayed.  We parted ways at the elevator/escalators.

Once we get to the check in desks, Mom veers us left “To find JetBlue.” I had checked in the night before at home, so I wasn’t sure why we’d need to find JetBlue. However, I had time and didn’t mind prolonging farewells. So left we went.

I’m glad I went without complaint, for there was a pleasant surprise waiting for me!  My newly married sister, Patricia, and her husband, Cody, had gotten up early to meet us at the airport to see me off. I felt very loved and blessed to have such people in my family. Thanks you two for making the start of my trip memorial.

My second traveler encounter was while waiting in the thirty minute security line. A three person family: father, mother, and utterly adorable precocious eight year old with whom I spent the majority of the time talking with. As an only child, she had handful of questions for me as soon as she found out that I had six siblings. We did some comparative discussion and her verdict was that being an only was totes better than having to share everything (this proclamation on her part earned a gentle reprimand from her mother about how she did have to share with her cousins. “I know.” the child replied).  I didn’t get her name, but she was a pleasure to talk to.


10 am - South Station, Boston

I’m waiting to begin the next step of my journey! I’ve navigated the airport & bus system (uber thanks to Erin Ross for the clear cut instructions) and arrived in one piece at the train station! It has snowed here in Boston recently, so it’s cold and wet right now, slush covers the ground in patches, breath condenses in the air, people are in a rush.  I’m sitting on the second floor in the Mezzanine eating some oatmeal and making plans to find more hot water for tea.

I know that writing is not the same as surfing the net, but I’ll have limited access to the web while I’m traveling and I think that it might be my sanity for forfeit if I don’t write. Victoria suggested that I work on my ambidextrousness.

On the bus from Boston Logan to South Station I got lumped with a bunch of students from Tampa, I’m pretty sure that the bus driver let me ride on for free even thought I purchased a ticket (he didn’t take and scan it when I offered it to him).

I called Erin while I wait for my oatmeal to cool. She is my long time dear friend who is letting me stay with her while I’m in Massachusetts and I found out that she might not make it to pick me up from her end of the tracks. Which is something we had talked about it being a possibility before I even booked my trip and she’d see about one of her friends picking me up. But, hearing that now suddenly makes me feel so far from home, so removed. I don’t think I like traveling alone.


12:10pm TRAIN!

As I sit here on the train, and it’s moving away from the station, I hope that I’m on the correct rail, oh well, too late now! Adventure here you are.

For the last hour of my wait, I sat with/by a young gal, 26, who is a college professor of American History. We had an excellent conversation about life, colleges, and traveling. We didn’t introduce ourselves, but she was great company. A young man from Berkley solicited us to listen to thirty seconds of his music. And a young lady asked us for a dollar. My companion informed me that this is not unusual in the city, South Station in particular.


3:00pm Worcester

At Erin’s! I did get on the right train, after all. I don’t feel the exclamation point at this time, but I am very glad to be here. Erin was able to meet me at the Worcester station after all, she kept it as a surprise and had a sign written up for me. I’ll post a picture of it, since it was made with love. My host had to run out to meet with her advisor to get next semester classes in line and she said she’d be back by 3:30.

She make me coffee from fresh roasted Oregon coffee beans before she left. I’m going to drink some, bundle up, fight off selfishness and wait to see what’s in store for this evening!


11:36pm Bed

So tired. I’ll write more about Gala tomorrow, but it was awesome. Sleep.

ps. pictures to follow!

1 comment: