Wednesday, May 11, 2011

One Way Ticket: Part Seven

Something about New York...
As soon as I got in on the 15th of April, I felt so very lost at Port A, there were so many people and I didn’t know where to go... I knew I had to take the R to Brooklyn, but I was still confused. I did eventually make it to 77th and then my nycHome by 2:30pm ish and then it seemed liked Robyn and I turned around and went right back into Manhattan... the first thing we did was go to the Met, I got in for a nickle. Now, that’s doing NYC the cheap way.

Looking back on what I did and how I got about I feel like a different person, even in this short of time, maybe not very much more grown up, but more mature, hopefully better with the brain to mouth thing... and more knowledgeable about public transportation systems, at least. A more thorough observation is pending.

~

April 20th 3:45pm on the 1 train
A kid talking about the subway while we were still on the platform said this to her mother, “But the express will be here in 900 mins!” And I just can’t help but think how true that is, every train is going to take nine hundred minutes to get here.
Also, a kid at the Museum, when he walked into a room full of dinosaur bones, “I’ve died, just died and this is heaven.” :D
I must for sure have a migraine, I think I’ll just go back and spend my last day in the apartment. So tired. bleg. I’m due for more ginger tea. Homeward.

~~

Things to do in DC
National Geographic Society
Tour the White House
Lincoln Memorial
Holocaust Memorial / Museum
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian  (Zoo, Wisconsin St, red line)
Butterfly Park
United States Botanical Garden’
United States Capitol
Library of Congress
Arlington Cemetery- Veterans
Alexandria Center, Pentagon
Book recommendation: Water for Elephants.

~

Bus to DC. April 21st 8:20am.
I am my father’s daughter, indeed. I guessed that I would spend the three hour trip either writing, or sleeping. But so far I’m talking. And my buddy isn’t feeling well, so I’m going to close my eyes too.

6:44pm.
My companion was feeling bad, dehydration headache and travel sick. I slept for close to an hour myself. But, good news! We’re meeting up again, tomorrow @ 10:30am to do something together. At the South Eastern intersection of Constitution Ave and Penn Ave. I think. I know where it is on the map, because we checked one out on a wall before we parted ways at the greyhound station. She to her hostel, me to find the Metro station and then off to find my host.      My bus buddy’s name is Elisabeth, she is from Germany and has been traveling for some time now. I’m very impressed and I know that I’d be terribly homesick. What I’m doing is small stuff to what she’s doing.
She told me, “That’s awesome that you’re traveling your country, most people, even at home, never even leave their own state.”


-DC
I arrived here; about 12:20 then walked about half an hour out of my way before getting to the Metro ($2.20) so I could get to Gerald’s work place (on L st NW) to drop off my luggage. And then wandered  around the city a little. My feet wanted to give out at Port Authority this morning then the bus ride was bad, with the exception of meeting Elisabeth.
As soon as I got back from wandering around the War World II Memorial it was close to 4:30pm. Gerald had his truck so we drove to his house, it was the first time I’d been in a car in weeks, which is kind of weird to think about. And after being greeting by the Great Danes (# & *) I took a long awaited shower, huzzah for hot water. It’s a traveler’s best friend, I don’t care what season you travel in.
Now, off to plan tomorrow, for while I wandered I found a discarded Metro map and the nice guys at the WW2 Memorial gave me a map of the city/area. So. Here is to packing in as much as I can!

~

Liz to DC. Part 2     4/22nd 2011  
Fingers crossed hopefully schedule, most is optional.
Starting at © 8am.
Holocaust Memorial Museum (tickets by 8:15am, please God. ) [haha, I silly. tickets @ 10am, two hour wait. was in the first block inline, woooorth it, got one for Elisabeth too.] [we went around 2pm, spent five hours in there.]
-[Japanese Pagoda]
-Korean War Vet Mem
-Vietnam Veterans (called Olman when we got there)

10:30 am meet Elisabeth @ Constitution Ave/15th (huzzah!)
{National Museum of American History & Air and Space (yes & yes)
{Smithsonian Castle (nope, told it was boring, didn’t go)
{Organization of American States [closed??]
{US Botanic Garden [BE U TI FULL]
{National Archive (fun times!, actually, it’s a dark room full of people... >.>)
{Library of Congress (got to looook but not touch or actually go in it proper)
{Butterfly Garden (behind NM of NH??)
{Arlington Cemtary or Iwo Jima Men (not both)
{International Spy Museum (nope, $$)
{US Capitol Visitor Center ?? (underground, weird)
{Pentagon -- way far
{Cathedral off of Wisconsin  (nope)

~

Some of the things that I did go to aren’t on my list. Elisabeth wanted to go to the DAR (Daughter’s of the American Revolution) House and the Lincoln Memorial and we didn’t get to tour the White House, because that requires about six months of fore planning. I know right, they don’t just let people step in off the streets. And I wonder if they would let a random non-citizen even go. Hm, something else for me to research.  DAR was pretty cool, they had replica rooms that I took tons of pictures off. And we didn’t do all the stuff of the list that I commented on, a lot of that I did on my own on a later date.
We spent a good amount of time walking in the rain after DAR, a pit stop to get coffee (it was Earth Day and Caribou and Starbucks were doing free coffee if you brought a cup. which I had. :D) and after the rain and before the Holocaust Museum we spent some time in a cafe to eat and warm up.

~

April 22nd, 9:44pm.
    So very emotionally exhausted. Spent close to five hours in the Holocaust Memorial Museum & I still didn’t get to see everything. It’s horrifying. How does one express an apology to a whole nation of survivors? I am so saddened.

~

May 11th, 8pm
At this point I do not know if I can express, in writing and at this time, any more about the Holocaust or the museum. I know that I am rereading my journal as I type it up for you to read and time and distance has given me a buffer. But, even now, it stripped me.
From the first step of the exhibit I felt wrenched from deep inside... I was not alone, that was the quietest museum I have ever visited. Voices all around were dimmed... in shock? in respect? Both? I cried. I sobbed. I’ve talked to people who were physically ill from the experience of seeing this Memorial to the Holocaust.
I wish I could walk you through it all, I do not know if I would go again, but I think that everyone should go once.

~

April 24th 8:56am @ the Klicka’s church near Warrenton, VA
    This has been an emotional journey. Not Something I really planned for. I just thought I’d be going to see some sights and meet some people.

But, regardless of my failings: Christ Is Risen, Amen!! It is right to be in an assembly to celebrate Easter. Jesse Klicka picked me up from the Vienna Fairfax metro station, end of the orange line, yesterday.
At the Klicka house we had an Easter lenner of corned beef and Greek salad. So much yum. Then I assisted in an egg hunt, both hiding and seeking.  & they made me  a basket for me! of candy, <3. Then Suz, Amy, Charity, John and I watched Tangled before bed. Last night, as I was heading to bed, I noticed a missed call from Alexandra. Even though it was close to midnight I called her back. We talked for some time about things that change and things that don’t change. And of childhood regrets.
Solomon tells us, reminds us, that there is a time for everything.

    In service: “I have seen the Lord!” Announce it to the world, not because you have to, but because you get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment